Angelos N. Goulandris was born in Constantinople in 1921. He was descendant of an old established family of mariners from the Aegean island of Andros, but chose not to follow his family's long tradition, and instead entered the world of art and nature.
Without formal instruction of any kind, Goulandris began paitning in 1962. In art practice - as in scientific research - he sought the underlying laws of construction and synthesis. He exhibited first in 1973 at the Fairweather Hardin Gallery in Chicago, and in 1983 at the Simons Lucet Gallery in Dallas. Many of his works have been purchased both by public institutions and private collectors.
Angelos - together with his wife Niki - founded the Goulandris Natural History Museum in 1965. As President he devoted almost a quarter of a century to the Museum to create a research and educational center, whose aim is to create a new relationship between man and the natural environment in order to raise awareness and inspire respect for the physical world.