DP: ABCFM Archive, Houghton Library, Harvard University, Boston
CM: Miss Maria West did not remain long in Smyrna after opening the American Collegiate Institute (ACI) in 1878. The following year, she moved to Istanbul to pursue independent missionary projects. Reverend Marcellus Bowen (1846-1916) from the Manisa Station then assumed responsibility for her work in Smyrna, eventually relocating there with his family. The two genders continued to share the same premises, but by 1881 Bowen established separate educational institutions in different buildings for boys and girls. Smyrna was now reinstated as a station of the Western Turkey Mission, and the schools, as well as a Protestant church built with Board funds in 1881-1882, became the focal points for missionary labor.
This Portrait of Rev. Marcellus Bowen was taken by M. Moulthrop at his studio in Phoenix Building, 298 Chapel Street, New Haven, Connecticut. An inscription at the print's rear gives the date, 6 April 1874, when Reverend Bowen was twenty-eight years old. Reverend Bowen is seen here off-duty, without his dog collar. He is shown to have rich and long light-colored hair parted on the left hand side. He wears a silk bowtie and velvet half-collar on his jacket.
Rev. Marcellus Bowen's original portrait of 1874 by M. Moulthrop (9x5), kept at American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions - ABCFM Archive, was enlarged and transferred onto canvas in 2008 to join the other Presidential portraits at Pierce Theater Lobby.
[Megakles Rogakos 01/2008]
ROGAKOS, MEGAKLES Silent Dialogues: Multimedia Portraits Throughout Time 2008 The American College of Greece - ACG Art, Athens