Dimitris Talaganis was born on 3 May 1945 in Tripoli of Arcadia Greece. He studied architecture at the Architectural Institute of Moscow (1964-1971). He began painting in 1971 in Italy, where he researched the architecture and painting of the Renaissance. He then went to Paris, where he worked as architect. He returned to Greece in 1974, where he continues to live and work.
His painting is charcterized by a lyrical realism with references to Greek vase painting. He has also engaged with photography, on which he has applied paint. He has been commissioned to design posters, stagesets, costumes and medallions, for many of which he has been awarded.
Talaganis has presented the following personal exhibitions: Foyer Royal de l' Odéon, Paris (1974); Aechmi Gallery, Athens (1977); Basilica of Saint Mark, Iraklio (1977); Municipal Gallery of Athens (1978); Hellenic American Union, Athens (1978); Panselinos Gallery, Thessaloniki (1979); Agathi Art Gallery, Athens (1979), ABF, Stockholm (1980); Epoch, Ioannina (1980); the Center for the Visual Arts, Xanthi (1980); Egonopoulos Gallery, Athens (1980); Lytra Art Gallery, Larissa (1980); Prisma Gallery, Rhodes (1980), Alexandroupolis Culture Club (1980); F Gallery, Athens (1985); Antenor, Athens (1987, 1992); Kouros Gallery, Tripoli (1996, 1997). He has also taken part in the following group exhibitions: Grand Palais, Paris (1973); Aechmi Gallery, Athens (1977); Arcadian Festival, Tripoli (1983, 1984). Works by Talaganis are kept at the Municipal Gallery of Athens and Heraklio.
Dimitris Talaganis was elected vice-mayor of Tripolis (1998-2002). He currently lives and works in Athens.